Welcome to the website of The Friends of Chicksands Priory
The Friends of Chicksands Priory (FOCP) was founded in 1975 by USAF personnel and British employees at RAF Chicksands. This was later expanded to include local people who were interested in the history of the Priory with the aim of making some improvements to the condition of the interior which had been suffering from neglect since it had become unoccupied as accommodation for military personnel. Membership of the FOCP is now international.
The first project undertaken was the moving and restoration of the Peace monument in 1975-76. Over the years the FOCP have scrubbed, washed, cleaned, painted and lovingly helped to keep the building in a fit state of repair, until in 1997 the MOD had the building professional restored and refurbished to its former glory.
Tours of the Priory began in 1976 and have been continuous except for the time when the building was being restored with the help of English Heritiage 1997-98.
This website contains a brief history of the priory, from its founding in 1147 by St Gilbert of Sempringham, to the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII; through its years under private ownership of the Snowe and Osborn families, and its military use by the RAF, USAF and today by DISC.
We hope you will enjoy the journey through history and visit us to see this unusual historic building.